Hello Friends, In this fast changing tech world one should always focus on adapting new technology. So In this article, will see why one should jump into Appium from selenium, also will talk about how to setup Appium in windows.
As now a day’s there’s hardly any home where there are no mobile devices. The number of mobile users in past decade has increased drastically as shown in the picture from 2013 to 2019 in India.
Android, iOS devices are making our daily to daily life easy as one can easily book railway, flight ticket or pay bills etc. from these devices unlike heavy desktops. So company are targeting the users by building up Android, iOS apps to reach more and more users worldwide.
With the Increase in demands for developing these apps, Testing & automation of mobile devices comes into the play.
Appium is launched into the market in 2014 and being open source it provided Automation of apps on Android, iOS platforms. Being the recent technology it provides great opportunity for Automation tester to jump into this new field, where the competition level is low and job opportunity are extremely high.
Now let’s follow below points to setup Appium:
- Download Eclipse IDE.
- Download PDANet+
- Download Java JDK
- Set Up Java Environment System Variable/Path
Step 1: Setting the JAVA_HOME Variable
- Right-clicking on ‘My Computer’ and choosing Properties.
- Choose ‘Advanced system settings‘.
Under the Advanced tab Choose the ‘Environment Variable…‘ option.
Select New In the System variables.
a. Define the Variable name as ‘JAVA_HOME‘ and Variable value as ‘C:Program FilesJavajdk1.8.0_45‘ (for this example JDK version 1.8.0 was installed in ‘C:Program FilesJavajdk1.8.0_45‘ folder; if needed, modify the real location).
Step 2: Setting the PATH Variable
a) After downloading SDK, download following packages from SDK window:
a. Respective Android Version packages (ex: Android 6.0 ‘API 23’)
b. Android SDK Build-tools
c. Android SDK Platform-tools
d. Google USB Driver
e. Google Web Driver
b) Set Environment Variables:
1. Under the User Variable table, click New.
2. Put ANDROID_HOME as Variable name and provide the path of the SDK folder next to Variable value and click OK.
3. Go to the folder where SDK has been installed.
4. Inside the SDK folder look for ‘tools’ and ‘platform-tools’ folder.
5. Copy the path for both tools and platform-tools.
6. Open ‘Environmental Variables’ dialog box.
7. Go to System Variables table and locate the Path variable.
8. Select path and click on Edit.
9. Add the ‘tools’ and platform-tools’ folder’s full path.
Now Let’s Setup Eclipse:
1. Install Eclipse Add on from Eclipse Marketplace
a. Test NG
b. Android Development Tools for Eclipse
Android for Maven Eclipse 1.4.0
1. Download following jars and add them into your project
That’s it Finally Appium has been Set up 🙂
Hope this will help you in setup the Appium .If you face any problem do let me know or leave us comments so that we can help you out
Thanks for reading